Boarding Versus Petsitter?

DenverDogLover82

Basic Member
I'm thinking about taking a trip to visit my Dad around Christmastime this year. It's been a while since I've seen him, and I'd really like to spend Christmas with him this year. I know that I could fly with my dog, but I don't feel she would do very well with an airplane trip.

When you all go on vacation or take a trip, do you board your dogs or have a petsitter come over? If you opt for a petsitter, do you hire someone who can house-sit, too, or do you hire someone who comes a few times a day to take your dog out, play with her, feed her, etc? I'm struggling to decide what option would be best for my precious fur baby.

Vinny

Staff member
Great question and one that happens to be part of my profession :)

I always suggest to everyone to research and hats off to you for starting yours. Second thing I feel most humans forget is the dog will be the best one to let us know where they will thrive.

What this means to me is we all know our dogs therefore think about where our dogs will thrive best. Will they do good in a kennel? If they are not crate trained most likely they will be very stressed. This will most likely rule out any vet office boarding.

Will your dog thrive around many unfamiliar dogs and humans? Will your dog thrive in someone else’s home (in home boarding).

Many variables with finding the right environment for each individual dog to thrive in. Now we toss in trust and knowledge of the humans taking care of your furry ones.

I will add a few articles here to get some more ideas as this is a huge topic in my opinion and such an important one. I can’t tell you how many last minute calls we get and many drop their dogs off without any research. I been in this industry for just about ten years and it’s scary :(

Two questions you should ask anyone you are trusting with your dogs care. This will give you an idea of how your dog might be handled.

Should I use a professional to care for my pets?

Finding pet care when your dog stays home. Guest blog: Dan Estep, Ph.D.,CAAB and Suzanne Hetts, Ph.D., CAAB –

PS: such a huge topic in my opinion :)