Caution: make sure to update microchip info

Pipsqueak

My neighbor's Bloodhound dug out of their fence and they can't find him. He's been microchipped, but the information is out-of-date as they've just recently moved here and gotten new cell phone numbers too. It's just so frustrating to think of the microchip leading to a dead-end. Make sure you keep your address and phone numbers updated in the database or it won't help.

MeriYa

That's so sad. As a dog lover, it's a terrible feeling to think of your dog out there lost. Ugh. I can't... it's just too much to deal with. You are so right, the microchip information needs to be kept up to date. Hopefully when the dog is found, whoever finds him will at least know that the owners really care about their dog because at least he has a microchip, they can start there and look on Facebook, or somewhere else online to hopefully find out information that will lead them to the owners. Some lost dogs don't even have that as a starting point.
I hope your neighbors find their dog soon.

Pipsqueak

My neighbor just called to let me know he returned! I guess the severe storms we've been experiencing kept him from venturing back home. I'm betting another citizen did what I do during tornado warnings and that's stick the wandering dog in the garage or basement until the threat passes. She said he's clean as a whistle and wasn't starving, so I bet he had help from a human, or he waltzed over to another dog's bowl and helped himself. Needless to say my neighbor is thrilled. She's already updated his microchip information. This is a huge relief. Thank you for caring about him, MeriYa!

I'm so glad your neighbor's dog is back! That is such a scary situation to imagine. I would be going out of my mind if my dog went missing. This is a terrific reminder to keep your microchip information updated. It can be so easy to forget to do this when you're moving because there's just so much to do.

MeriYa

I'm so glad your neighbor's dog is back! That is such a scary situation to imagine. I would be going out of my mind if my dog went missing. This is a terrific reminder to keep your microchip information updated. It can be so easy to forget to do this when you're moving because there's just so much to do.

If I may just jump in here, I just want to say that I agree with you 100% about there being so much to do during a move that it's easy to forget about updating microchip information, but thinking about it now, I feel like updating this type of information is one of the first things that should be on a to-do list because in all the activity of a move, sometimes people don't pay attention to their pets like they normally would. The next thing you know, the dog is gone missing. Like you, I would be going out of my mind, ugh!! I guess when there is a move, the dog is disoriented as well, so it's easy for it to wander off, or want to get away from unfamiliar surroundings, or maybe perhaps get away from stressed-out owners. I'm glad that neighbor's dog is back too.

ZITA

I pay $19.99 annually for my chip subscription. I get notified by email as well as snail mail when sub is about to expire. In the notice it always asks to review all info. The sub does come with additional features. Several people I have spoken with have said they only paid a one time fee. I wonder if they received a special promotion or if they just "think" they do not have to continue to pay. I have used a microchip since 2004 & always had an annual fee. Any thoughts? Foot note: On my annual vet visit I always have the vet scan the chip. It takes literally 2 seconds, no cost, no harm to the pet & gives piece of mind on the slim chance of computer error.