Dogs tied to bikes for exercise?

MeriYa

I've seen people riding their bikes with their dogs tied on, the dog running beside the bike. I get it, I guess, they are killing two birds with one stone, so to speak; they're exercising and their dogs are exercising too. I think it's a good idea in summary, but in theory and practice it seems very dangerous. If the dog's leash is too long, it could get tangled up in the bike, and if the leash is too short, the dog itself could get caught in the bike. Then there's the matter of navigating traffic and keeping control over the dog, who(m) has its own will and compulsions. Have you ever seen people tie their dogs to their bikes via leash and go for a ride? If you've seen this, how do you feel about it?

Poppy

I have never seen anyone do this before and I think that whereas it may work for other people, it seems to require a lot of scrutiny. As you mention, the dog could easily get caught in the bike. I prefer to walk my dogs, every other time.

MeriYa

@Poppy I've seen this type of thing way too many times. I have to admit though, sometimes it does look "cool" to see some youthful, gorgeous, shirtless, muscular man riding down the street on his 10 speed with a big, beautiful dog galloping beside him. But just because it looks kind of cool doesn't mean I like it. I think it's really dangerous for the dog. Like I said, I get it, people want to exercise their dog, but they also want to ride their bike. Good intentions, but it just doesn't seem safe.

ZITA

I have seen this time & time again. Personally I am against this 100%. The rider's focus is and should be the road, traffic other bicyclists.
With the pet's needs coming last. You can easily ride far greater distances without even realizing it then the dog should be forced to run. The rider can take a water break as needed....the dog? An over exercised dog will get over heated faster. The wear & tear to nails & paws can be underestimated.
There are so many variables including the leash length. Far too dangerous, again I vote NO!

RuffLuv

I have seen this time & time again. Personally I am against this 100%. The rider's focus is and should be the road, traffic other bicyclists.
With the pet's needs coming last. You can easily ride far greater distances without even realizing it then the dog should be forced to run. The rider can take a water break as needed....the dog? An over exercised dog will get over heated faster. The wear & tear to nails & paws can be underestimated.
There are so many variables including the leash length. Far too dangerous, again I vote NO!
Wow, I didn't even think about the wear and tear to the dog's nails and paws. That surprises me, because I usually think about that type of thing right off, so yeah, wow. That's yet another reason why I don't like this type of thing. I think I tend to see it more during the summer than in other times of the year, and like I said, I get it, but I think it's a terrible way to exercise a dog... the rider is riding, which granted is exercising, but the dog is running, not pedaling. It's just too much in my opinion. And you're so right about the leash length.