Fostering dogs

Pipsqueak

I've found fostering dogs to be a wonderful experience and it's a great way to help out shelters and rescue groups. Foster homes can teach dogs how to live with a family and can give the pup a much-needed break from shelter life. Some dogs that appear terribly timid or uninterested while at the shelter, come out of their shell in a home environment which helps their chances of finding a forever home. Would you consider fostering a dog? I'm happy to answer any questions, but of course, my viewpoint is through the lens of the regulations run by my local animal groups.

I would really love to foster dogs. I'd be afraid, though, that I'd get too attached to them all and not be able to let them go. I believe a foster home offers a great opportunity for dogs to learn socialization skills, basic commands, and house rules. How do you let go when it's time for them to move on to their forever family?

Pipsqueak

It might help to foster dogs that have a home waiting on them. Sometimes people adopt dogs when they aren't able to take them right away like puppies that are still too young, a dog who hasn't finished his medicine, or owners who are moving soon. In those instances, it still frees up room at the shelter if a foster home can look after the dog for that time period. Foster parents might get less attached if they know the dog already has a fantastic forever home waiting on them.

MeriYa

I agree with you @SpanielsRule, I would get too attached too. I think it's a great thing to foster a dog, but I think it's a sad thing too. The dog gets attached to you as well, and then has to go away. Ugh! But it's great to be able to provide a dog a home, even if it is only for a short time I suppose, while it waits for its forever home.