Have you ever been chased by a dog... in a bad way?

MeriYa

I have. A few times. When I was growing up, you'd sometimes see dogs roaming around freely, even though we lived in a thoroughly residential area. I guess sometimes people would not be diligent in keeping an eye on their dogs. One time, I got chased by one of my neighbors' dogs, although I never even knew my neighbors had this dog before that day (it was actually at night when the dog chased me).

One night I decided to walk to a store because I was at home craving a certain type of cookie. Walking back home from the store, mission accomplished, cookies in hand, I was almost home when I heard a dog growling. I couldn't see the dog because it was too dark outside. I stopped in my tracks. Then, when I moved a little bit, I heard the dog move a little bit. Fair enough. I took off running and ran up to a house, ran inside like I lived there, and told them I was being chased by a dog. They knew the dog and who it belonged to. It was really 'funny' to hear them on the phone with the dog's owners, and saying to them "Yes, hi. It seems that Bear is loose. He was chasing a girl..." Bear. :eek:

Poppy

Interesting account of events @MeriYa. Luckily for me, I have never been chased by a dog though there is this time when one escaped from his walker and started running towards me. Our parents had always told us never to run when chased and so I stood my ground as it continued barking loudly, while at the same time, maintaining eye contact. A dog is really intelligent and it can tell when someone is frightened. It wasn't long before the owner caught up with it.

MeriYa

Interesting account of events @MeriYa. Luckily for me, I have never been chased by a dog though there is this time when one escaped from his walker and started running towards me. Our parents had always told us never to run when chased and so I stood my ground as it continued barking loudly, while at the same time, maintaining eye contact. A dog is really intelligent and it can tell when someone is frightened. It wasn't long before the owner caught up with it.

You were brave to stand your ground, lol. I think it's wise to stand your ground in certain cases because dogs have a chase instinct, it's nothing personal. You run, they chase. That's why dogs chase cars and bite tires, or some dogs bark and chase a vacuum cleaner around the house. In my particular case, I could not see the dog, it was too dark, so I didn't even know what was happening. To me, I know the dog sounded like Cujo, so I wasn't interested in being anywhere in the vicinity.:)

Another time I had a situation with a dog, I've had a few actually, but this one time I was walking home from work with a friend of mine. We both worked at a strip mall a few doors down from each other. She was miss popular, great dresser, long nails, thought she was the best thing since sliced bread, a lot of the guys who worked in the strip mall with us had a crush on her. Me, I was the class clown and the geek, I was miss popular too, but in my own way:cool:. So, one night we're walking home, taking a short-cut through a pitch black, non-lit construction area, and we hear a dog. I was trying to get out of the way. My friend was trying to... I don't know what she was trying to do, but she wasn't moving fast enough for me and she was in front of me. I actually grabbed her and threw her out of my way. It was so strange. We were in high school at the time, and she was one to get in fights with girls over boys and that sort of thing. I was always somewhere reading a book or in the library. That night I was the fighter. We both got away from the dog, but I got away faster.