How many dogs at one time?

Jade

Basic Member
I'm curious, for anyone who is or has been a professional dog walker, how many have you walked at once? I always giggle when I'm in the city and I see walkers with several dogs. They're professionals, of course, and seem to have quite a good handle on the situation, but it looks like it has the potential to be sheer chaos in the wrong hands.

MeriYa

Basic Member
I think that four should be the maximum, otherwise I don't think that the dogs are getting the best quality walk that they could be getting. Taking a dog for a walk should be a pleasant experience for the dog, and if the dogs are getting tangled up in each others leashes, tripping over one another, bumping into each other, stepping on each other because they are all bunched up into this one tight group being held by one person, that doesn't seem ideal. Quite frankly, even walking two dogs at one time can be really tricky.

Vinny

Staff member
I do agree with both of you and also some great input. I find most group walks are in larger areas like cities. I kind of lead towards that most of these dogs where socialized when pups into this group walk environment or;

(Every time I see one of these group walks I always think of trying this in the shelter.) The walkers do test these dogs and trust me if they are not good in group walk they would charge more for a private walk and don't even think of trying to make it work :)

Personally I was never a big fan of group walks.

MeriYa

Basic Member
I do agree with both of you and also some great input. I find most group walks are in larger areas like cities. I kind of lead towards that most of these dogs where socialized when pups into this group walk environment or;

(Every time I see one of these group walks I always think of trying this in the shelter.) The walkers do test these dogs and trust me if they are not good in group walk they would charge more for a private walk and don't even think of trying to make it work :)

Personally I was never a big fan of group walks.
I think that even if a dog likes to be around other dogs and does good in a group-walk environment the dog is not really getting a good walk if there are too many dogs together on the walk at one time. I honestly feel that once there are more than two dogs being walked together, the quality of the walk goes way down for each dog. It might not be practical to walk dogs in very small groups, especially if you have a lot of them that need to be walked, but I definitely think it's better.

Jade

Basic Member
Now that we're talking about this, I just thought of something. Do y'all think apps like Wags will put the group walkers out of business? If I'm not mistaken, I think with Wags your dog is walked individually, so I wonder if people are going to opt for that instead of having their dog stuck in a group.

Keats

Basic Member
I've often wondered if the quality of the walk for a dog is diminished when walked in a group. But as dog walkers are a sort-of dog daycare I'd hope that the owners would walk their dogs after work. If the walk in a group with a dog walker is the only kind of walk a dog gets during the day then I feel that it is missing out somehow.

DenverDogLover82

Basic Member
I'm not a dog walker, but personally, I think I'd limit the number of dogs I walked at a time to two. Otherwise, the dogs end up stepping on each other, getting tangled up, etc.

I agree with everyone here - I think the quality of walk diminishes when too many dogs are being walked at once. I haven't used a dog walker or pet sitter myself yet, but I'd want my dog to have individualized attention. The social aspect of the walk is just as important as the exercise, in my opinion.

HereSadie

Basic Member
I've seen dog walkers in New York City with five or six dogs at a time and they all seemed to be having fun. The dogs were socializing with each other more than with the dog walker. Maybe it depends on the dogs' personalities and what they're used to doing, but I don't feel comfortable handling more than one dog at a time. I'm also happy to pay more for my pup to go on a solo walk.

Woolsy

Basic Member
I always compare dogs to kids. The more you try to take care of, then the lesser the time you can watch on all of them. For me, one up to three dogs is the comfortable and easiest way for a walker to handle.

Poppy

Basic Member
I have to agree with you @Woolsy. I have actually never gone beyond two and I imagine how hectic it can be, to have more than four. Dogs love to be in a pleasant environment so it is only fair to go with a number that won't place a strain on them.