I'd love to be a dog groomer in my next life!

Keats

I've been a language teacher in this life but have loved grooming. Three of whom didn't need much doing except claws trimming, but two of them had long, curly hair which matted easily. Are there any dog groomers here? I'm sure they have some great tales to tell. I once trimmed my poor little miniature-poodle mixed with a what-we-could-never workout, so closely around his matted neck (that's how he came to me), that he looked like ET. We were tempted to call him that - but he already knew himself as "Dylan".

HereSadie

It's sweet of you to help pups like that. It can't feel good to have matted up fur. I'm not a dog groomer but I sure appreciate the one that takes care of Sadie. She also volunteers to groom the dogs at the Humane Society when they need help. It turns out those thick tangles of fur can lead to sores and infection. The dogs look totally different when she's finished. You can tell they feel better too by the way they show off.

MeriYa

A language teacher? I love that. I've never been a professional dog groomer, but in the past I have had dogs that were brought to me from various people who asked me to house, or take care of their dogs for them. I've seen dogs with huge sores on their bodies, large patches of missing hair, infected ear tips. I've never had one with matted fur, but I've seen it and it's not a pretty sight. It's great that you love dog grooming. A good dog groomer is worth his or her weight in gold because it's a job that not everybody can do well.

Savile

I am a Master groomer, breeder, trainer and I love it. I have been bitten, scratched and growled at but I just keep on going. I am in the middle of a dog show circuit right now. We just got back from Georgia where my little pug won ribbons and points. I guess the worst dog I have ever groomed was one that hadn't been to see me in over a year. Wow! What a mess. It took me almost a full day to get her matted fur trimmed, brushed out and bathed. She looked and felt so much better when we were done.

HereSadie

I'm exhausted just watching our groomer while she's finishing up Sadie. I bet it takes a great deal of patience to do the job. I can't imagine trying to paint their tiny toenails or brush out old tangles, Savile.

Savile

It does take a lot of patience but it is a labor of love. I enjoy all of my clients and they know, for the most part, that I am there to help them and make them feel better. It gives me a certain sense of satisfaction seeing them prance out of the shop.

Keats

@Savile - I'm officially jealous of you and completely inspired! I always loved making my dogs comfortable and can fully understand that work as a dog groomer is a labor of love. I'm not bothered about learning the set styles for certain breeds, just in making the dogs comfortable.

My dog has never had mats, but I have seen others who have, and they look painful. I know that whenever Lucy gets her hair cut, she seems to know that she looks good. She goes trotting out of the shop with her head held high!

I'm not a groomer, either, but I appreciate all the work groomers do for dogs. I think it would take a lot of patience and love. I'm sure there are some, "challenging," dogs to work on at times.