Things To Check In A Boarding Facility

Woolsy

Except for the caretakers' profile, what other necessary things to check on a boarding facility for us to know that it is safe for our dogs to stay there? A friend of mine needed help in taking care some of her dogs. She is willing to pay as long as she knows that her dogs, especially older ones, will be taken cared like she takes care of them.

HereSadie

I'm no expert, but I'd want to know how many dogs they typically board, how long my dog will be in a kennel. what immunizations are required, and how often they will walk and play with my dog. I think observing the staff with the dogs they're boarding will go a long way.

Like @HereSadie, I am no expert, but I'd definitely want to know what vaccinations the boarding facility requires, how many dogs they board at a time, how often they exercise them and for how long, and whether they have a veterinarian on staff. I'd want to know what they'd do with my dog in an emergency, such as if she becomes ill or injured while in their care.

I'd want to take a tour of the facility and make sure everything looks clean and sanitary. I'd also observe the staff's interactions with the dogs there - this can tell you a lot about how they care for the dogs.

Woolsy

Thanks for your input. Which do you think is better for a boarding facility to have, comfortable cages or cozy rooms? I would sleep better if my dog will have his own cage for the duration of his stay in a boarding facility as I know he won't be disturbed or hurt by other dogs.