When a dog resents the owner

Poppy

I have come across countless stories of dogs hating their owners and I have never for once imagined that our very lovely dogs, would ever attempt to do this. What are some of the things that could cause a dog to duck when it sees the owner? I am assuming that only extreme cases would drive our dogs nuts?

MeriYa

In a case like that, I think there has to be some kind of abuse happening. If an owner is being good to their dog, why would a dog hate their owner? Most animals aren't like that. People do all sorts of things to their animals behind closed doors. I've heard of people giving their dog hard drugs, or putting gunpowder in their food to make the dog tough... so they think. And that's some of the tame stuff. On the other hand, maybe the owner isn't feeding the dog properly, so the dog is always hostile because the dog is hungry. Or, maybe the dog isn't getting enough exercise and has a lot of pent up energy therefore the owner really can't control the dog and therefore doesn't treat the dog properly.

There are so many reasons why a dog could resent its owner, but like you said, you have lovely dogs, so the way you speak about your dogs means that your dogs probably think you are lovely too. You treat them nice one would guess, just by the way you write about them. Everybody does not have that same compassion towards their animals; in my opinion that's why problems arise.

Poppy

I agree with you @MeriYa. It would be reasonable for a dog to resent an owner that was beating it up because as you say, compassion (or a lack of it) varies from one person to the other. I think that fear and resentment almost go hand-in-hand and to avoid this, it is better to provide all that your dog needs, when it needs it. Rules and limitations have to be clear and consistent, from the very start.

Last edited: